Sunday, December 30, 2012

Ugh, grocery shopping

Opening the Wheat Belly book or the Wheat Belly Cookbook will have dire effects on your wallet.  Going wheat-less isn't cheap nor easy but it is possible.  Grocery shopping was never one of my favorite pastimes, but trying to buy wheat-less makes grocery shopping even less enjoyable.  I have to read every label!  And don't be tricked by the "gluten-free" stuff, which nearly eliminates anything pre-packaged (read: easy) from the grocery cart.  So that translates to more cooking from scratch.  Now, understand, I already cook a lot.  And I cook healthy meals.  At lunch on Friday, we had my homemade vegetable soup with a grilled cheese sandwich.  My soup consisted of diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, tomato paste, chicken broth, diced smoked ham, quartered new potatoes, crowder peas, butter beans, green beans, English peas, corn, and a handful of whole wheat spaghetti.  The grilled cheese was provolone, and colby-jack cheeses on whole wheat bread and I used coconut oil to cook the grilled cheese. Healthy? Maybe not so much.  Using my new cookbook guide, I would have to take away the potatoes, the whole wheat spaghetti and the whole wheat bread.  Also, I would need to the check the labels on my tomato paste and tomato sauce to see if it had added sugars or added wheat flours. 

Wheat Belly requires a new game plan for grocery shopping.  Here's a peak at my grocery list:  coffee, iced tea bags, Truvia and Splenda, gluten-free breakfast stuff (other than grits, this does not exist, I should have known better), low-fat mayonnaise, extra virgin olive oil, low fat milk, almond milk, coconut milk, unsweetened yogurt, eggs, frozen cauliflower, deli-sliced turkey, fresh apples, fresh bananas, fresh cauliflower, fresh broccoli, fresh cabbage, fresh romaine lettuce, fresh green beans, dry garbanzo beans, dry black-eye peas, dry black beans, jarred tomato sauce, flaxseed flour, coconut flour, almond flour.  Note: I ordered the coconut flour and almond flour from Amazon.com, the rest of the items were purchased at my local Kroger grocery store.  
Here is a peek at my refrigerator:

Notice the cauliflower and broccoli.  :)  Even if you don't believe anything written recommending the Wheat Belly diet, remember this: FRESHER IS BETTER, and that applies to any and all diets!!  

Today's task, making a reduced wheat foccacia bread for our bread needs for the upcoming week.  (I pray that God will forgive me for missing worship services today and bless my efforts since I have been battling the sniffles for the past 4 days now.)  The Wheat Belly Cookbook states that using almond flour and coconut flour are almost completely interchangeable for wheat flours.  I haven't found any mention about using yeast with the coconut or almond flours, so that will be an experiment that I will post about in the coming weeks.  Wish me luck with the bread making today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment